Friday, April 4, 2014

Tesla and great ideas.

I love the Tesla Model S.  When I visited California last year, I stopped by a Tesla showroom on the way to Venice Beach.  I had no expectations other than seeing the car up close (again, since I had already seen it in a Scottsdale gallery on that same trip).  But when I got inside, the gentleman that showed me the car was very helpful.  I asked if it was possible to test drive it, even though they schedule appointments for that, and he checked and they had some time before their next appointment, so he let me!  Best car I've ever driven.  I was intrigued with the idea of Tesla before then, but as soon as I hit the go pedal, I was hooked!  The instant torque, even though I knew it was there, surprised me as I got the tires to chirp.

Today I found this article describing another great feature Tesla is working to put into all new cars:


Tesla moves to make side mirrors a thing of the past - InsiderCarNews.com


Among my favorite features are the key fob (shaped like the car) you never pull out of your pocket and the door handles that retract.  These type of ideas are exactly why I love Tesla.  It's the kind of blank-new-slate/what-if thinking that results in great new ideas.  This type of thinking only comes from entrepreneurs and dreamers, which is rarely found in large companies today.


More innovations I'd like to see Tesla come out with:


  • No key fob - I can see the key fob going away to be replaced by your smartphone.  There's already car control apps, might as well have everything controlled through the only device nobody ever leaves the house with.  Having a backup key fob and proper security on your phone should keep the car in your possession.  Even better if control of your vehicle can be transferred to others temporarily!  (like some home security systems)
  • Automatic & wireless charging systems - installed in your garage, under the front area of where you park the car daily, this could start/stop charging automatically when you get out/in to avoid the hassle of plugging in.
  • 5 mph cruise control - every time I use cruise on the highway, I'm tapping the set/coast button 5 or 10 times to adjust to changing speed limits.  Why even have 1 mph options?  Just round it to 5!
  • GPS auto-cruise - speaking of cruise control, why even make me set the speed?  At this point, GPS can figure out where I am, so just match my speed to the limit when I hit "go" on the cruise control.  This can be expanded to talk to other cars and match speeds to traffic conditions.  Cars need to start talking to each other now anyways!



I've got more that I can't remember right now.  I'm sure I'd come up with a bunch if I had one to drive every day!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment